PennEast ends battle to build natural gas pipeline

Gov. Phil Murphy said the project would have ‘wrecked’ the state

The PennEast Pipeline project is officially dead. A PennEast spokesperson tells NJ Spotlight News the company wasn’t able to secure critical permits needed to build New Jersey’s section of the proposed $1 billion natural gas pipeline. The fate of the controversial project appeared all but certain last week after the developer dropped plans to use eminent domain to seize state land, despite winning a key case in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Opponents spent seven years fighting the pipeline that would have carried natural gas along a 116-mile route from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Gov. Phil Murphy Monday said the project would have “wrecked” the state and he’s “very gratified by the decision to pull the project.”

We’re in this together
For a better-informed future. Support our nonprofit newsroom.
Donate to NJ Spotlight