33%

June 18, 2019 | Number of The Day
New Jerseyans who can’t name the governor

While two-thirds of adult New Jerseyans (67 percent) know that Phil Murphy is the state’s governor, the remaining one-third (33 percent) better not get that question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire since they couldn’t answer it. That’s according to the most recent Fairleigh Dickinson University Poll.

But Gov. Well-Um need not be unduly chagrined by the result; a recent national survey found that a third of all Americans couldn’t name their governor. “So, as much as Governor Murphy may be disappointed, apparently he’s in good company,” said Krista Jenkins, professor of government and director of the FDU Poll.

A cohort of those who thought they could name the governor were a bubble off plumb, with some of them hazarding a bare-bones “Phil” or “Murphy,” and others naming the state’s leader” as “William Murphy” or “Bill Murphy.” And perhaps in the wishful-thinking category were those who said Murphy’s predecessor, Chris Christie, was the governor.

Gov. Philip Dunton Murphy’s approval rating is at 42 percent. “It’s important to note that [he] remains under a 50 percent approval rate mainly because people don’t know him very well at all,” said Jenkins. “On the bright side, this means he has a lot of potential to improve his ratings. On the pessimistic side, it means he’s just not connecting with voters.”