October 7, 2016 | Number of The Day
Percentage of NJ physicians who feel pessimistic about the future of the medical profession

New Jersey doctors are not feeling positive about the future of the medical profession. A survey conducted by the Physicians Foundation found that 44 percent said they felt “somewhat negative or pessimistic” about the future and 26 percent said they felt “very negative/pessimistic,” for a total of 70 percent. That is significantly higher than the 63 percent of physicians who felt this nationwide.

Although 73 percent said they would choose to be a physician if they had to do it over, 52 percent said they would not recommend medicine as a career to their children. The biggest problems? Regulatory/paperwork burdens (54 percent) and erosion of clinical autonomy (38 percent). On the other hand, these same doctors said that patient relationships (74 percent) and intellectual stimulation (61 percent) were the most satisfying parts of the job.