Follow Us:

Daily Number

  • Article
  • Comments

65%

October 2, 2014

Public-safety experts advise that all homes have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, as well as fire extinguishers. But a new Rutgers-Eagleton Public Health Series poll showed that only 65 percent of New Jerseyans have all three in their homes.

Carbon monoxide poisoning and fires are quite common in the Garden State, and poll Director David Redlawsk adds that just this year there have been 55 fire fatalities.

The poll showed that almost all respondents (98 percent) have smoke detectors in their homes. Carbon monoxide detectors are installed in 86 percent of homes and 75 percent are equipped with fire extinguishers.

The presence of carbon monoxide detectors is especially important in homes that use natural gas or oil for heat. Slightly more (89 percent) of respondents with gas-fueled homes report having a CO detector than those who heat their homes with electricity (80 percent).

Read more in Daily Number
Sponsors
Corporate Supporters
Most Popular Stories
«
»